Brits love all things gluten when it comes to picnics
16th June marks the start of National Picnic Week and it has been revealed that the UK is a nation of gluten lovers when it comes to outdoor dining.
According to a survey commissioned by leading gluten free pastry brand Too Good To Be Gluten Free, pies, sandwiches and sausage rolls, all high in gluten, are our favourite things to take on traditional summer picnic. Almost two thirds of Brits (65%) opt for sandwiches for a picnic, while 18% would go for sausage rolls and 12% for pork pies.
So for the millions of Brits who are coeliacs or choosing a gluten free lifestyle, what’s the option?
Sam Benjamin, ex chef and brand manager at Too Good To Be Gluten Free, offers his tips to create the perfect gluten free picnic.
Sam said: “With such a huge amount of gluten led foods out there, I thought it’s only fair to offer some ideas to go gluten free.
“Leading a brand that focuses on the intense flavours and textures of its products rather than the absence of gluten, gives me a passion to keep developing Gluten free recipes which are every bit as good as their glutenous alternatives. Here are my tips to enjoy a great gluten free British picnic.”
- Crab sticks – bring the essence of the coast to your picnic
- Mediterranean inspired grilled vegetable stack with a lemon hummus dip
- Keep everyone happy with freshly cooked chicken drumsticks cooked with seasoning and paprika sauce
- Supermarket dash? Grab a Too Good To Be Gluten Free Pork Pie or Sausage Roll, they are after all a picnic favourite!
- Grilled chicken, asparagus, goats cheese with plain brown rice – a healthy bite!
- Go green with a delicious potato salad with crisp green salad ingredients
- Quinoa salad with roast pumpkin, sweet potato and a dressing of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar
- A delicious Cauliflower, kale and Stilton open top pie from Too Good To Be Gluten Free.
- A tangy fruit salad with kiwi, apples, oranges, with a splash of lime juice
- Lashings of Greek yogurt with a swirl of pure honey and unsweetened melted chocolate
- Indulge in Too Good To Be Gluten Free’s dark chocolate and salted caramel tart.
Fancy a tipple to wash it down?
- For all the soft drinkers, you can chose from pure fruit juice, fizzy drinks or a diluted cordial
- Enjoy an ice cold cider, a delicious wine or go really posh with a glass of port!
For more information on Too Good To Be Gluten Free and their product range, visit www.toogoodtobe.co.uk. Too Good products are also available in Sainsbury’s and Morrisons’ stores and Ocado online.